Having a laptop as your main work PC is pretty handy. Once you tether it to your phone, you can work pretty much anywhere, and I have. I’ve worked at various team member’s houses, in cafes, pubs, libraries, hospitals and hotels all over Australia.
But when it comes down to it, working in an office with a bunch of other devs is pretty good.
- Easier to focus on work for a solid 8 hours a day, then go home and forget about it (helps work-life balance).
- Forces you to get out of the house everyday.
- Makes collaboration and sharing test devices easier.
- Being close to other devs (hiring for short contracts, getting help/advice, playtesting, socialising, motivation, contacts).
- Regular visits from platform holders, tool makers, media, game industry celebs.
- More professional if you need to meet clients.
- Access to more test hardware.
- Faster internet.
- Awesome coffee machine.
- Cost of leasing the office space.
- Cost and time involved in traveling.